The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
BEIJING (TheStreet) -- Over the past month, the U.S.-listed Chinese Internet space has continued its slow meltdown. As expected, the weaker names in the space have been pummeled quite badly. However, now even the marquee names such as Baidu (BIDU), SINA (SINA) and Sohu.com (SOHU) are being dragged down by negative sentiment even despite a recent rebound in the NASDAQ.
I still generally like names such as SINA and BIDU, but I sold my BIDU because I expect I will have the opportunity to buy it back at a lower price in coming weeks. In the low $50's SINA is also looking quite cheap and is probably being overly punished for losses due to its investments in Mecox Lane and China Real Estate Information which are already reflected in SINA's share price. If either SINA or BIDU drift much lower, I will be tempted to jump back with a longer buy and hold mentality.On the short side, it is arguably too late to go short the weakest names in the space such as RENN (RENN) and E-Commerce China Dangdang (DANG). In addition, shorting either of these names has become very expensive. However, Youku.com (YOKU) and Qihuoo 360 (QIHU) both remain very attractive shorts, each with share prices hovering around $18 and market caps of about $2 billion. I am quite certain that both of these stocks will join the rest of the herd of China Internet stocks and see single-digit share prices in the near future, which is a drop of 50% or more from current prices. My best guess is somewhere in the range of $5 to $8 for each of these stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV