Not All Greeting Card Stores Need 'Sympathies'
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- After more than a quarter-century in business, Avant Cards & Gifts of Lincoln, Neb., was having a tough time surviving in the greeting card business. Owner Duane Krepel turned to the store's Facebook page to get customers in the door.
"WE NEED YOUR HELP! This has been a tough and relentless recession," the Nov. 14 status update read. "Unfortunately our bank has determined that due to decreasing sales we will have to close our doors after the holidays. They will reconsider only if we show a significant increase in sales this Christmas. Please don't forget to shop with us and bring your friends and relatives. ... We believe in Christmas miracles & appreciate your help!"
|Dana Norman and Michele Rothberg bought discount card store CardSmart in Plainview, N.Y., because they thought there was an opportunity to sell to a more affluent clientele.|
Krepel, 67, used to have three stores in the area, but closed two. He says a large portion of his cash and personal savings have been eaten up trying to keep the business running.
"I had to throw the proverbial Hail Mary pass," he says of the Facebook post. "I didn't have any choices. I had to do something
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV