ST. LOUIS, Dec. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU) today said it is increasing seaborne coal volumes at its Wilpinjong and Millennium mines in Australia after expanding both operations.
"The successful expansions of Wilpinjong and Millennium increase our annual thermal and metallurgical coal supplies to serve the highest-demand regions by a combined 3 to 5 million tons," said Peabody Energy Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gregory H. Boyce. "With the recent acquisition of Macarthur Coal and additional Australian mine expansions over the next several years, Peabody plans on a rising share of our earnings to come from the world's largest coal exporting nation."
The Wilpinjong thermal coal mine in New South Wales will increase annual production by 2 to 3 million tons beginning in 2012 from the 9.2 million tons in 2010 after completing a preparation plant and coal handling facility expansion. The mine supplies export and domestic markets and is among Australia's most productive surface operations. Capital investment for the project is expected to total approximately $95 million.
The Millennium Mine in Queensland is targeted to increase PCI and semi-hard coal production by 1 to 2 million tons per year when full production is reached in 2013. Peabody has invested approximately $20 million of the expansion capital to date, with the majority of the investment of up to $275 million to be made over the next two years. Millennium sold 1.6 million tons in 2010.Peabody also has reached a 10-year agreement with the Australian Rail Track Corporation for below-rail track access in the Hunter Valley rail network, beginning in January 2012. The contract covers expansion volumes from the Wilpinjong and Wambo mines in line with contracts and allocations in place with export terminals at the Port of Newcastle.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV