This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Zynga's Not-So-Quiet Period

NEW YORK ( TheStreet -- Zynga (ZNGA - Get Report) CEO Mark Pincus can't seem to stop running his mouth.

In the latest example, according to Venture Beat, Pincus told 100 potential investors at Warburg Pincus last week that the company could double its number of paid subscribers.

That would be news to the Securities and Exchange Commission because that figure isn't in the company's S-1 filing and the company is in a quiet period, meaning it is restricted in what it can say while promoting the upcoming offering.

"I don't see how the SEC can let that go without putting it in the prospectus," said IPO Desktop President Francis Gaskins. The prospectus says, "We believe that the number of players who choose to purchase virtual goods will continue to constitute a small portion of our overall players as our business grows."

Gaskins points to paying customers as Zynga's Achilles heel. Paying customers declined from March to June by 9%, although in September the metric increased 2%. Quarterly bookings per player have remained relatively stable in the $69 to $73 range.

The SEC wouldn't comment on the Zynga filing but the comments by Pincus get to the heart of Zynga's problem: Monetizing free games.

Zynga gets its cash through mainly through "Facebook Credits" as the social network is the dominant home for its games, such as Farmville. Facebook keeps 30% of the payments and gives Zynga the remaining 70%. The agreement is in effect until 2015.

Facebook delivers 93% of Zynga's gross revenues, and it's always risky to be so dependent on one partner. There's always the chance that Facebook may change policies as it did in 2010 when a tweak of communication channels for application developers. Zynga has said this change caused the number of players to decline.

Zynga is looking to raise $925 million through the sale of 100 million shares expected to price in a range of $9 to $10 each. The IPO is expected to price on Friday. The company faces competition from Electronic Arts (ERTS), Rovio, the maker of Angry Birds, as well as a host of other companies vying for game players.

Even Facebook could enter the social game space if it isn't content to just collect its 30% from Zynga. On a positive note, Zynga does have brand recognition, which is huge in the after-market for IPOs. Its players are dedicated and loyal and the company will have lots of money going into the development of new games.

Top Videos of 2011


-- Written by Debra Borchardt in New York.



>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Debra Borchardt.

Readers Also Like:


Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG
ZNGA $2.95 0.00%
AAPL $130.28 0.00%
FB $79.19 0.00%
GOOG $532.11 0.00%
TSLA $250.80 0.00%

Markets

DOW 18,010.68 -115.44 -0.64%
S&P 500 2,107.39 -13.40 -0.63%
NASDAQ 5,070.0260 -27.95 -0.55%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs