NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Intel's (INTC) deal with Inside Secure to bring Near Field Communications (NFC) to its chips has shone a spotlight on an emerging part of the mobile payment industry. There are several ways investors can tap this growing market.
NFC is used primarily for two reasons: payment applications, and outside of payment applications such as accessing information on mobile devices, says analyst Mark Hung at Gartner (IT).
Payment application has long been talked about, but Hung believes the growth in NFC over the next few years will come outside of payments, and that is where Intel is looking to capitalize.
Future growth will occur in smartphones, personal computers, and consumer electronics, as companies use NFC for information retrieval. "A person could tap on an NFC tag at a museum to learn more about a sculpture or a painting and get the latest information on it," Hung says.Here are five companies poised to benefit from the growth of NFC in both the payment area, as well as outside of it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV