3 Things You Should Know About Small Business: Dec. 14
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. Square hits 1 million merchants. Mobile payments startup Square, founded by Twitter's Jack Dorsey, hit 1 million active merchants, according to Marketing Land.
Dorsey apparently announced the milestone Tuesday via his Twitter account, according to the article."To put that in perspective: there are only 8 million merchants who accept credit cards in the U.S. @Square has added 1 million," Dorsey tweeted. 2. Lessons from Quiznos. A lot can be said and learned from Quiznos, the troubled franchise chain. The quick-service sandwich shop is in trouble of defaulting. While Quiznos executives scramble to save the company, franchisees are paying the price as multiple franchises close. Franchise expert Joel Libava offers future franchise owners five lessons from the Quiznos catastrophe in his blog:
- Don't buy a specific franchise just because it's been named a "top franchise";
- Don't buy a franchise without talking to current and past franchisees of the franchise you're interested in;
- Hire a franchise attorney;
- Make sure that you have enough "fall-back money";
- Make sure that your skills are a match for your actual role as the franchisee.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV