Speculative Stocks: For me, a speculative stock offers the potential to at least double in the next 12 months, but it also carries lots of downside risk.
In energy, one such stock springs quickly to mind: Transocean (RIG). RIG dominates deepwater drilling floaters, but the company is on the verge of drifting into junk bond territory, and it has court cases pending that will define its financial responsibility for the Macondo disaster of last year.
Still, in 2008 RIG shares traded for $160. Back then oil prices were not much higher than they are today and daily rig rates weren't much different. RIG trades for about $42 a share today.
Another speculative idea might be trying to gain exposure to the exploding development of the Bakken or Permian basins with smaller-cap explorers and producers such as Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) and Kodiak (KOG). But both are richly priced already, and you are mostly wagering on a takeover bid -- not normally an easy pick to make.So there you have it: my picks for 2012 in energy. What's most important to remember is not the specific picks but the thesis that energy should continue to outperform the rest of the stock market. Using that thesis, you should look for your own investment ideas. At the time of publication, Dicker owned XOM, COP, SLB, HP, RIG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV