BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The global reaction to the Federal Reserve's latest statement on interest rates leads your quick fix of company, market, economic and investing news for Wednesday, Dec. 14.
Wednesday's 5 Biggest Stories
Federal Reserve did nothing yesterday with interest rates or the central bank's communications strategy. But there still were some noticeable changes.
Remember Germany's disastrous bond auction a few weeks ago? Today,
Germany sold 2-year debt at near zero percent.
Quote of the Day"You know, I mean, I can argue that someone else could think that a -- being short in front of a 'sell' recommendation is a non-event because it's not going to move the stock, and somebody else would think, you know, that's trading on material nonpublic information regardless if it moves the stock or not. These are judgment calls," Steven Cohen, manager of hedge fund SAC Capital, said during a two-day deposition on the subject of insider trading, according to a transcript.
Company NewsThere is a lot of research out on Groupon (GRPN) as the quiet period ends today, but was yesterday's pop the biggest reaction we'll see?
MarketsUnemployment in the U.K. hits a 17-year high. The drumbeat of recession grows louder.
Investment StrategyEven your money manager is worried about a potential eurozone breakup.
Odds and EndsTime magazine names "The Protestor" as Person of the Year, narrowly beating out my suggestion of "The Can," which has been continually kicked down the road this year.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Holmes. >To follow Robert Holmes on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/RobTheStreet. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV