#8: iShares Global Timber & Forestry ETF (WOOD)
follows the S&P Global Timber & Forestry Index which includes companies primarily engaged in ownership, management or upstream supply chain of forests and timberlands. The fund was launched in June 2008. The expense ratio is .48%. AUM equal $136 million and average daily trading volume is 55K shares. As of mid-December 2011 the annual dividend yield was 1.60%% and YTD return -18.80%.
WOOD Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
Data as of December, 2011
- Rayonier, Inc. (RYN): 8.10%
- Weyerhaeuser Co (WY): 8.06%
- Plum Creek Timber Co Inc (PCL): 7.89%
- West Fraser Timber (WFT): 5.01%
- Svenska Cellulosa (SCA B): 4.99%
- Potlatch Corp. (PCH): 4.81%
- MeadWestvaco Corporation (MWV): 4.64%
- International Paper Co. (IP): 4.49%
- Stora Enso Corporation (STERV): 4.46%
- UPM-Kymmene Corporation (UPMKF): 4.29%
- Svenska Cellulosa AB (SCA B): 5.47%
- MeadWestvaco Corporation (MWV): 5.13%
- Holmen AB (HOLM B): 4.88%
- International Paper Co. (IP): 4.86%
- Plum Creek Timber Co Inc (PCL): 4.74%
- Stora Enso Oyj (STERV): 4.74%
- UPM-Kymmene Oyj (UPMKF): 4.72%
- Rayonier, Inc. (RYN): 4.67%
- Greif, Inc. A (GEF): 4.59%
- West Fraser Timber (WFT): 4.56%
- Xstrata PLC (XTA): 6.46%
- Southern Copper Corporation (SCCO): 6.04%
- Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN): 5.88%
- Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold B (FCX): 5.83%
- Rio Tinto PLC ADR (RIO): 5.83%
- Antofagasta PLC (ANTO): 5.52%
- KGHM Polska Miedz (KGH): 5.48%
- Katanga Mining Ltd (KAT): 4.85%
- First Quantum Minerals Ltd. (FM): 4.60%
- Inmet Mining Corporation (IEMMF): 4.46%
This sector overall responds to perceived and real economic conditions. Should investors sense an economic slowdown demand for base commodities will decline and so too will associate stocks. Conversely should investors believe an economic expansion is underway then products and stocks should rally. Uniquely, the level of the U.S. dollar is also another important determinant as to price action given commodities overall are priced in dollars. A strong dollar in the current environment should mean a decline in commodity prices and vice versa. It's also important to remember that ETF sponsors have their own competitive business interests when issuing products which may not necessarily align with your investment needs. New ETFs from highly regarded and substantial new providers are also being issued. These may include Charles Schwab's ETFs and Scottrade's Focus Shares which both are issuing new ETFs with low expense ratios and commission free trading at their respective firms. These may also become popular as they become seasoned. For further information about portfolio structures using technical indicators like DeMark and other indicators, take a free 14-day trial at ETF Digest . Follow us on Twitter and Facebook as well and join our group conversations.
You may address any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The ETF Digest has no current positions in the featured ETFs.
(Source for data is from ETF sponsors and various ETF data providers)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV