NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Canadian National (CNI) said it reached a deal to renew its labor contract with the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference in what has already been an active month of labor negotiations for Class I railroads.
Details of the agreement will be released pending its ratification by TCRC members, who make up about 1,800 locomotive engineers for the Montreal-based company.
|Another railroad has struck a labor deal|
"To my knowledge, it's the first time we have reached a tentative agreement with CN before the expiration of the old contract," said Rex Beatty, TCRC president, in a statement.
Major freight railroad companies averted a strike in the U.S. at the beginning of December as they reached agreements with two of the rail unions and extended talks until February with a third.Before railroad companies reached agreements with the unions, House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) said that Congress would take any legislative action to avert a "job-destroying" shutdown of the nation's rails. He was likely referring to the "Commerce Clause," or Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution that gives Congress the power to regulate commerce among the states. A strike could have cost the country an estimated $2 billion a day. All publicly traded Class I railroad stocks were rising Tuesday as most shadowed the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Union Pacific (UNP) was leading the sector at $102.78, up $2.18, or 2.2%; Canadian National was gaining to $76.87, up 35 cents, or 0.5%; CSX (CSX) was at $21.09, up 19 cents, or 0.9%; Kansas City Southern (KSU) was climbing to $66.06, up 61 cents, or 0.9%; Norfolk Southern (NSC) was at $73.58, up 50 cents, or 0.7%; and Canadian Pacific (CP) was lagging the sector at $63.38, up 23 cents, or 0.4%. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. >Follow Joe Deaux on Twitter. Subscribe on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV