NEW YORK, Dec. 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Weight Watchers International, Inc. today introduced National Basketball Association (NBA) Hall of Famer and current "NBA on TNT" studio analyst Charles Barkley as the ambassador of its new Weight Watchers for Men campaign. The dominant and outspoken former power forward and current television personality will appear in print, broadcast, and online marketing beginning December 25, 2011, as part of the new "Lose Like a Man" advertising platform. Losing will be a new role for someone who has focused for so long on winning, but Barkley is confident he can make the change.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 72.3% of U.S. men and 64.1% of women are overweight or obese. Despite the high prevalence of obesity among men, they are often overlooked by the weight loss industry. As an organization, Weight Watchers is making a strong commitment to help men lose weight and think about weight loss differently.
"Diet is not a man's word because we don't like to diet—we like to eat," said Barkley. "Like a lot of athletes, I've gained weight since I've retired. But, I don't want to be a fat, old man taking lots of pills. Weight Watchers is helping me change my lifestyle and learn how to make smarter eating choices anywhere I am."
Barkley has lost 27 pounds and is committed to reaching his personal goals. Given his success already, his broadcast buddies may have to start thinking of a new nickname, as "the round mound of rebound" might not fit much longer. With a travel schedule as busy as Barkley's, other diets or meal plans were too restrictive and unrealistic. Weight Watchers teaches Barkley and other men how to live and eat real food in the real world.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV