The company expects to receive the Federal Reserve's approval of its agreement to purchase ING Direct (USA) from ING Groep (ING) for roughly $9 billion, following a series of three public hearings held by the Fed and completed in October, where various consumer groups voiced their opposition to the deal.
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency has reopened its public comment period for Capital One's pending deal to acquire HSBC's (HBC) U.S. credit card portfolio for a premium of $2.6 billion.
Capital One still expects the ING deal to be completed late this year or early in 2012, providing needed liquidity for the HSBC card deal, which is expected to close in the second quarter.Shares of Capital One closed at $45.15 Monday, rising 7% year-to-date, which is a strong return in a year that has seen the KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) pull back 27%. And the shares trade at valuations similar to the "big four" U.S. bank holding companies, while Capital One has posted much stronger earnings results. The better earnings for Capital One are no surprise, with credit cards providing 65% of third-quarter revenue and 70% of earnings from continued operations, after tax. Capital One's operating return on average assets was 1.72% in the third quarter according to SNL Financial, and has ranged between 1.42% and 2.08% over the past five quarters. The shares trade for just 7.5 times the consensus 2012 earnings estimate of $6.14 a share, among analysts polled by FactSet, and for 1.4 times tangible book value, according to SNL. Let's see how these numbers stack up against the big four U.S. bank holding companies:
- Shares of Bank of America (BAC) closed at $5.45 Monday, down 59% year-to-date. The shares trade for 5.8 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of 99 cents and for 0.4 times tangible book value. The ROA over the past five quarters has ranged from a negative 1.51% in the second quarter, when the company posted a net loss of $9.1 billion, springing from a $14.5 billion loss in its Consumer Real Estate division as it tried to put mortgage putback demands behind it, to a positive ROA of 1.08% in the third quarter.
- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) closed at $32.04 Monday, down 23% year to date. The shares trade for 6.8 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $4.88, and just under tangible book value. The ROA over the past five quarters has ranged between 0.76% and 1.06%.
- Shares of Wells Fargo (WFC), closed at $26.29 Monday, down 14% year-to-date. The shares trade for 8.4 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $3.20 and 1.5 times tangible book value. The ROA has ranged between 1.12% and 1.29% over the past five quarters.
- Citigroup (C) closed at $27.22 Monday, down 42% year-to-date. The shares trade for 6.6 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $4.34, and for just over half their tangible book value. The ROA has ranged between 0.28% and 0.76% over the past five quarters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV