NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Want to know which banks investors are currently betting against? Take a look at the short interest ratio, which divides average trading volumes by outstanding short interest. TheStreet compiled the following results using Bloomberg data, focusing on banks in the S&P 500. Here's what we found.
5. Comerica (CMA) is fifth most shorted, with a ratio of 3.32. Comerica shares are down 36.65% year to date.
4. People's United Financial (PBCT) is fourth most shorted, with a ratio of 3.37. People's United shares are down 6.4% year to date.
3. Hudson City Bancorp (HCBK) is third most shorted, with a ratio of 3.91. Shares are down 51.25% year to date.2. Zions Bancorp (ZION)is second most shorted, with a ratio of 5.23. Zions shares are down 35.9% year to date. 1. M&T Bank Corp. (MTB) leads the pack in this category of dubious distinction, with a ratio of 5.59%. Shares are down 13.11% year to date. Bank of America (BAC) bulls have had an awfully tough year, with shares down 56.92% through last week. At least investors in the bank can take some solace in the fact that Bank of America has the lowest short interest ratio of the banks in the S&P 500 at just 0.65%. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 5 Most-Shorted Big Bank Stocks portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV