Andy Ng of Morningstar, however, said that the Thailand floods may not wind up affecting AMD much at all, given the company's capacity constraints.
With AMD's GlobalFoundries partner having trouble ramping up production of its Llano chip, explained the analyst, falling near-term demand might not affect AMD. GlobalFoundries is the world's third largest factory where devices such as integrated circuits are made.
"AMD is having trouble getting manufacturing yields up, which should be resolved in the next few quarters," said Ng. "It is possible that the move lower today is an over-reaction given the supply constraints."
The analyst also said that he expects AMD to gain market share from Intel in notebook chips because the production issues are coming in desktop computers, not notebooks. As GlobalFoundries improves its manufacturing yields, Ng thinks that AMD will benefit.He thinks shares could hit $11 over "the next couple of years." -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV