NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Intel's (INTC) decision to lower its revenue forecast hammered the tech giant's stock on Monday and fuelled speculation that rival Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) will follow suit.
Number 1 chip maker Intel blamed the guidance change on a hard disk drive shortage. Analysts warned that AMD could also feel the burn.
"This could impact AMD a bit more than Intel because of not only desktop exposure, but because of [non-brand name] white box [hardware] as well," explained Patrick Wang of Evercore Partners. "AMD has made a living selling to cost-sensitive customers."He said that AMD may have to cut its guidance in the next week or two, with disk drive shortages expected to be around for much of 2012. The most severe impact will be in the first quarter, explained the analyst, although this will lessen in the second and third quarters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV