NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In the current market volatility, telecom stocks are the flavor of the month as nervous investors, starved of yields, are seeking defensive investments to endure the turmoil roiling the global economy. According to Fitch Ratings, the U.S. telecom sector is likely to see revenue growth of 3% to 4% in 2012, powered by spending on 4G wireless networks, enhanced build-out of fiber-to-cell sites and the increasing availability of wire-line broadband.
Pyramid Research pegs total service revenue for the global telecom services market at $1.7 trillion, or 2.4% of global GDP in 2012.
Based on average estimates of analysts polled by Bloomberg, these five stocks have potential upsides ranging from 11% to 94%, with average buy and average hold guidance of 75% and 20%, respectively.
The stocks are listed in ascending order of upside potential.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV