Medtronic (MDT) pushed the Health Care sector higher today making it today's featured health care winner. The sector as a whole closed the day up 2.2%. By the end of trading, Medtronic rose 66 cents (1.9%) to $35.92 on light volume. Throughout the day, 4.6 million shares of Medtronic exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 6.6 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $35.26-$36.10 after having opened the day at $35.37 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $35.26. Other companies within the Health Care sector that increased today were: Siga Technologies (SIGA), up 32.1%, Alexza Pharmaceuticals (ALXA), up 20.2%, Cooper Companies (COO), up 16.6%, and PharmAthene (PIP), up 15.7%. Medtronic, Inc. manufactures and sells device-based medical therapies worldwide. Medtronic has a market cap of $38.43 billion and is part of the health services industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 11.5, equal to the average health services industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 4.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are 11 analysts that rate Medtronic a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 16 rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Medtronic as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth and attractive valuation levels. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
- You can view the full Medtronic Ratings Report.
- Use our health care section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about MDT
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV