AGL Resources Completes Nicor Merger
ATLANTA, Dec. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- AGL Resources (NYSE: AGL) today announced it has completed its merger with Nicor Inc., creating the nation's largest natural gas-only distribution company based on customer count. With an enterprise value of $9.5 billion, the company will serve about 4.5 million utility customers in seven states. AGL Resources also announced that Standard & Poor's will add AGL Resources' common stock to the S&P 500 Index after the close of trading on Monday, December 12, replacing Nicor Inc. And effective Friday, December 16, the combined company will assume Nicor's ticker symbol – GAS – in trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
"Today marks the beginning of a new and exciting chapter for AGL Resources," said John W. Somerhalder II, chairman, president and chief executive officer, AGL Resources. "We have successfully brought together two prominent companies in the natural gas industry with complementary businesses to create a company of considerable scale that is uniquely positioned for growth."
"We are very pleased to have received approval for the merger and appreciate the important role the Illinois Commerce Commission played in the review process over this past year. Nicor Gas customers will continue to receive outstanding service, now backed by AGL Resources' 150-year history of safe, efficient and reliable natural gas delivery.""It's also important to acknowledge the action by the Georgia Public Service Commission in making this transaction possible," continued Somerhalder. "Its ruling in 2010 that adopted an innovative merger savings policy provided clarity about the treatment of such a transaction and allowed us to confidently pursue an opportunity with the potential to deliver long-term benefits to all of our customers as well as create shareholder value."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV