Medical device maker Stryker (SYK) has a tight grip on the orthopedic market, developing and manufacturing everything from reconstructive joint implants to the scopes and surgical tools used in the operating room. The firm's niche focus is appealing -- with competition fierce in the medical device industry, Stryker's positioning ensures that revenues aren't as challenged by competitors.
That's not to say that there hasn't been some trepidation over the firm's outlook. Management has voiced concern over health care providers' reimbursement policies for costly orthopedic implants, and while the necessary nature of reconstructive implant surgery makes it less susceptible to economic headwinds, anything can spook investors in this market.Growth has been consistently strong in the last several years. When investors see that Stryker can continue its expansion, shares should follow. Stryker is another firm that's in a strong financial position right now. Like Bristol, Stryker has a net cash position and strong margins. That financial health helped to fuel management's 18.06% dividend hike last week, which brings the firm's payout to 21 cents, a 1.8% dividend payout at current levels. Stryker, one of the top holdings at Yacktman Asset Management, shows up on a recent list of 10 Stocks Gloomy Goldman Sachs Is Bullish On.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV