BOSTON (MainStreet) -- Holiday shopping in 2011 is a good time to stock up on the year's hottest items, but if you really wanted a webOS device, a Canadian e-reader or a seat for a first-run Harry Potter film, you're out of luck.
This year marked the end of the line for a lot of popular brands, gadgets, vehicles and American cultural icons. Simple routines such as getting groceries, watching afternoon television or even mailing in a bill just won't be the same without some of the items that didn't make it out of 2011, but the bigger-ticket items have even broader implications for the buying public. Americans who have just finished gorging themselves at the holiday consumer trough and contributing billions to the greater economic good likely aren't thinking about the buys that could have been, but some of the best items of the year amounted to background noise by the time Black Friday rolled around.
We took a look back at 2011 and found 10 items that were definitely worth picking up this year, if only because they won't be making it to 2012:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV