BOSTON ( MainStreet) -- Holiday shopping in 2011 is a good time to stock up on the year's hottest items, but if you really wanted a webOS device, a Canadian e-reader or a seat for a first-run Harry Potter film, you're out of luck.
This year marked the end of the line for a lot of popular brands, gadgets, vehicles and American cultural icons. Simple routines such as getting groceries, watching afternoon television or even mailing in a bill just won't be the same without some of the items that didn't make it out of 2011, but the bigger-ticket items have even broader implications for the buying public. Americans who have just finished gorging themselves at the holiday consumer trough and contributing billions to the greater economic good likely aren't thinking about the buys that could have been, but some of the best items of the year amounted to background noise by the time Black Friday rolled around.
We took a look back at 2011 and found 10 items that were definitely worth picking up this year, if only because they won't be making it to 2012:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV