International Paper Co. (IP): Today's Featured Consumer Goods Loser
International Paper (IP) pushed the Consumer Goods sector lower today making it today's featured Consumer Goods loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 2.1%. By the end of trading, International Paper fell 96 cents (-3.4%) to $27.71 on average volume. Throughout the day, 4.5 million shares of International Paper exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 5.6 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $27.63-$28.44 after having opened the day at $28.39 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $28.67. Other company's within the Consumer Goods sector that declined today were: Blyth (BTH), down 14.6%, Orbital (OBT), down 12.2%, Cereplast (CERP), down 10.3%, and Verso Paper (VRS), down 9.7%. International Paper Company operates as a paper and packaging company with operations in North America, Europe, Latin America, Russia, Asia, and north Africa. International Paper has a market cap of $12.51 billion and is part of the consumer non-durables industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.3, above the average consumer non-durables industry P/E ratio of 8.9 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 5.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate International Paper a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and one rates it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates International as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, compelling growth in net income, notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations and impressive record of earnings per share growth. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- You can view the full International Ratings Report.
- Use our consumer goods section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV