By Christina Cheddar Berk, News Editor at CNBC.com
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- Darden Restaurants (DRI) cut its fiscal 2012 earnings and sales forecast Tuesday, hurt as deep discounts at its Olive Garden chain failed to bring in new guests.
But Darden, which also operates Red Lobster and LongHorn Steakhouse, isn't the only restaurant suffering these days.
It's been a rough year all around for restaurant operators, with consumers eating out less often. Market researcher NPD Group said Tuesday it doesn't expects 2012 will be much better.
NPD issued its forecast for next year and said it expects the number of diners going to restaurants to be flat in the first half of 2012, but to end the year with visits up by 1%.That's pretty much the opposite of what happened in 2011. This year, the industry started off hopeful after ending 2010 with two consecutive quarters of 1% traffic increases, but the vision did not materialize.
More from CNBC
Americans Reject Automatic Budget Cuts
Emerging Markets Still a Good Bet -- For the Long Term
Why Bank Stocks Are Stuck in a Crushing Bear Market
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV