TheStreet's biotechnology readers have spoken, tagging Gold for the Provenge launch fiasco and subsequent pounding of Dendreon's share price. Gold took the top (dis)honor with 37% of the 1,800 votes cast in the Worst Biotech CEO of 2011 poll.
Gold actually was lauded with the Best Biotech CEO Award last year, so his fall from grace is even more breathtaking. Knowing Gold as I do, he'll work hard in 2012 to snag another Best CEO nomination -- if his angry shareholders don't kick him out first.
Runner-up with 30% of the vote was KV Pharma's (KV-A) Greg Divis Jr. for his magnificent Makena-marketing mishaps.Third place went to Mannkind's (MNKD) Al Mann, followed by Amarin's (AMRN) Joseph Zakrzewski and Gilead Sciences' (GILD) John Martin. Gold takes home the Nance Trophy named in recognition of David Nance, the former CEO of now bankrupt and defunct Introgen Therapeutics. Few CEOs in biotech did more to hone the fine craft of investor bamboozlement and outright incompetence as Introgen's Nance. Gold joins a pantheon of chief executive screw-ups: Elan's (ELN) Kelly Martin, Genzyme's Henri Termeer and Dan Bradbury of Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN). Many readers admonished me for failing to nominate Cell Therapeutics (CTIC) CEO Jim Bianco. As I've said before, he's actually the Worst Biotech CEO Emeritus. Besides, Cell Therapeutics is down only 36% this year, about half that of 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV