By Ryan Kim, GigaOM
The Kindle Fire and Nook Color are built to run on custom versions of Android, and their apps are essentially Android apps. But that hasn’t stopped Ansca Mobile, which makes a cross-platform app development tool called Corona, from releasing a software development kit today that supports the Kindle Fire and Nook Color separately. With one SDK, Ansca is helping developers build once to cover the increasingly fragmented Android market.
Ansca is making the argument that it makes sense for developers to treat those devices as separate opportunities because each platform has sufficient differences, and each has substantial money-making potential. The company, which has helped developers make more than 6,000 mobile apps, is extending support beyond iOS and Android to the Kindle Fire and Nook Color for all its paid Pro subscribers.
Ansca Mobile Co-Founder Walter Luh said differing hardware specifications, app review systems and app stores mean developers will already have to tweak their apps for each platform. For example, the Kindle Fire doesn’t come with GPS or a camera and can’t connect to native Google services like Gmail and Google Maps. Other things devs will have to tweak include adjusting Nook and Kindle Fire apps to use Barnes & Noble’s and Amazon’s own check-out systems for in-app purchases, plus submit their content to the respective retailers for editorial review.Luh said leveraging the Corona SDK to hit iOS, Android, Kindle Fire and Nook Color not only simplifies the work developers need to do; it helps them take advantage of the potent selling opportunity on Kindle Fire and Nook Color devices. He said those devices are more like iPhones and iPads in their ability to get people to pay up for apps. “Amazon and Barnes & Noble are forking
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV