Other ETFs linked to alternative energy have fared poorly as well. The First Trust ISE Wind Energy Fund (FAN) and the PowerShares WilderHill Clean Energy Fund (PBW) have fallen approximately 20% and 46% over the course of 2011.
There is a chance that Buffett's latest purchase will be enough to inject some life back into the battered solar energy industry. Investors, however, should be wary of diving in at this time. We have seen in recent months the impact soured market sentiment can have on the performance of inherently volatile alternative energy companies.
Many of the factors that have weighed on firms like First Solar in 2011 remain in play. There is a good chance that, as we prepare to ring in the New Year, FSLR and ETFs like TAN could continue to behave in a turbulent manner
Given his substantial wind and solar investments, it has become clear that Buffett has a favorable outlook for alternative energy industry. What is your forecast for this slice of the energy sector in the New Year? Feel free to leave a comment in the space below.Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV