ECB head Mario Draghi set the tone for markets early. It was hoped he would not only lower interest rates, (which he did) but more importantly to bulls would be buying vast sums of euro bonds as a bailout (which he did not). Stock markets went straight down from there.
Reporters have been given press passes which will remain good through the weekend for any eurozone announcement. This should indicate a long weekend for hopeful investors.
Rumors and/or trial balloons continue to swirl regarding a variety of solutions. One was that the ESM bailout fund would be given a banking license which might include a large euro Kinko franchise. As quickly as that rose, it was shot down. Other planted stories were well outlined by the WSJ here.After Draghi's press conference, the euro went south as did gold due to the euro. But some might be the news via the Deutsche Boerse that the BIS, BOE and Fed were in the market selling it. Stocks fell sharply across the board wiping out the week's hard won gains. Financials took the worst hit which is understandable given bank exposure and eurozone disarray. With the dollar higher commodities were sold hard while bonds rallied on safe-haven flight. Lost in the shuffle were good Jobless Claims which came in at a 9 month low despite consistent upward revisions to previous reports. Let's not forget it's not just the eurozone that is battling debt problems, the U.S. has plenty of its own as noted in the chart below. Volume rose as stop losses were hit and investors moved to the sidelines. Breadth per the WSJ was quite negative. You can follow our pithy comments on twitter and become join the conversation with me on facebook. Continue to U.S. Sector, Stocks & Bond ETFs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV