Updated with analyst comment and comparison to competitors.
November was the 103rd consecutive month with positive global comparable-store sales growth and Wells Fargo analysts in a recent report noted McDonald's "impressive track record."
Sales in Asia, the Middle East and Africa jumped 8.1%. Comparable-store sales in both Europe and the United States rose 6.5%.Growth in the East was led by Japan and China. In the U.S., seasonal peppermint mocha drinks as well as a chicken nugget promotion helped boost growth. McDonald's comparable-store sales in October rose 5.5%; again Asia, the Middle East and Africa were the leading regions. McDonald's sales boost in November carries on from 5% sales growth in the third quarter, which ended Sept. 30. For comparison, Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell-operator Yum! Brands (YUM) had 6% worldwide sales growth in the third quarter; Yum's same-store sales in China jumped 19%. Starbucks' (SBUX) global comparable sales rose 9% in the fourth quarter ended Oct. 2, with 10% of that increase coming from the U.S. and 6% from international sales. "[McDonald's is] doing much better than Burger King, or Wendy's (WEN), but not quite as good as Starbucks' 9.0% comps in its most recent quarter," said Argus Research analyst John Staszak, who added, "Don't get me wrong, though, 7.4% is a strong showing." Wells Fargo rates McDonald's at market perform and estimates fiscal year 2012 earnings per share at $5.68 per share. Goldman Sachs considers McDonald's a buy with a 12-month price target of $103. McDonald's shares rose 1.4% in trading Thursday to $97.84. -- Written by Alexandra Zendrian
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alexandra Zendrian >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Alexandra Zendrian.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV