6. Office Depot
This is the second year that Office Depot (ODP) is one of the biggest retail decliners. In 2010, the office supply retailer lost about 16% of its value. This year, the stock took an even bigger hit, tanking 59% during the year.
But analysts believe the company is showing signs of a turnaround.
During the third quarter, earnings more than doubled, but its adjusted profit still fell short of consensus estimates, as revenue slipped."Office Depot's third-quarter results show that the company is making meaningful internal strides despite the external environment offering no help," Credit Suisse analyst Gary Balter wrote in a note. "Office Depot is benefiting from the process improvements that have been underway for the past several quarters... In addition, under Neil Austrian's leadership, a rigorous re-examination of each business segment seems to be driving positive change on top of ongoing initiatives." Austrian assumed the position of chief executive this year after former CEO Steve Odland resigned in October 2010. While its weak top-line is holding back margin expansion, Office Depot is doing well with the elements in its control.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV