Staples (SPLS) doesn't foresee a monumental change in the economy in the near-term, which doesn't bode well for 2012.
"I think we remain in a slow growth economy for business in North America and that's really driven by high unemployment and fear of the future," CEO Ron Sargent said during a conference call with analysts following third-quarter results.
Its international business, specifically Europe, also remains a concern."Softness in Europe is not surprising, and it is unlikely to change as debt issues morph into weaker and weaker economies," Janney Capital Markets analyst David Strasser wrote in a note. "Staples will aggressively cut G&A
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV