On the residential side of the REIT spectrum is AvalonBay Communities (AVB), a REIT that owns nearly 52,000 apartments spread across key metropolitan areas such as New York, Boston, Washington D.C. and San Francisco. That geographic positioning has two major benefits for AvalonBay: high barriers to entry and high renter demand.
Because AvalonBay is a residential REIT, it doesn't get to engage in the same sorts of super-attractive leases that its commercial counterparts do. Instead, leases are short-term, and regulation is stricter for residential landlords.While those two factors are posing a challenge right now, AvalonBay's geographic focus is its saving grace right now. Because the firm is positioned in higher cost of living areas, consumers who were on the fence about buying qualifications during the housing boom are likely to remain out of the market until underwriting loosens up, keeping occupancy high for AVB. A short interest ratio of 11.8 means that it would take more than two weeks for short sellers to close out their positions in AvalonBay. That gives this stock ample potential for a short squeeze as buyers become more ambitious in this market. To see this week's short squeezes in action, check out the REIT Short Squeezes portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV