Digital Realty TrustDigital Realty Trust (DLR) isn't just the most heavily shorted REIT on this list -- it's also the one that has the most attractive macro case for being a buyer right now. Put together, those factors make Digital Realty worth taking a look at for investors. The firm's short ratio of 13.5 indicates that it would take nearly three weeks for shorts to exit their positions in this stock.
Digital Realty is a niche REIT that owns datacenters, internet gateways, and offices for technology firms. That positioning puts DLR in the unique position to benefit from the quickly increasing demand for specialized datacenter facilities. As cloud computing becomes less of a buzzword and more of a part of consumers' daily lives, datacenters are becoming more in-demand -- and Digital Realty is one of the few firms that can offer meaningful capacity right now.
Because Digital Realty's properties require customization to meet tenants' technical needs, switching costs are high -- so even though leases tend to be for shorter-terms than at many traditional peers, retention remains high as a result. This firm's 4.2% dividend yield, coupled with a strong macro argument for growth, makes it a solid name to watch in 2012.Digital Realty also shows up in Capital Growth Management's portfolio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV