(This article, originally published Dec. 7, 2011, has been corrected to remove a reference to unconfirmed plans for investments by Alexandria Real Estate Equities. TheStreet regrets the error.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. commercial real estate is expected to stabilize and perform better going forward. Cautiously optimistic about the modest economic growth and job creation, Lawrence Yun, chief economist of National Association of Realtor, predicts that the overall drop in vacancy rates, softer leasing and concessions could continue to make it into a tenant's market.
Fitch Ratings has affirmed a stable outlook for multifamily, office, industrial and retail REITS in 2012, and has assigned a positive outlook for health care REITs.
Pending Home Sales Index rose 10.4% in Oct. to 93.3 from 84.5 in the prior month. Regionally, pending home sales increased in the midwest by 24.1%, northeast by 17.7%, and in the south by 8.6% in October. New home sales are likely to top 5 million in November from 4.97 million in October, according to the median forecast of analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.Related: 5 Heavily Shorted REITs That Could Pop The Mortgage Bankers Association's research shows that loans issued in the three months from July to September 2011 in the commercial and multifamily market rose by 98%, vs. the same period in 2010. Analysts estimate that these five REITs have potential upsides ranging from 9% to 19%, based on latest quarterly results. Among analysts covering these stocks, an average of 72% have buy recommendations, according to data provided by Bloomberg. The stocks are listed in ascending order of upside potential.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV