NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- The Credit Union National Association has dialed down earlier estimates about how many customers closed their accounts at big banks and joined credit unions leading up to National Bank Transfer Day after a quarterly report revealed discrepancies in the data.
The new survey results show that only 214,000 people joined credit unions in October, a significant decrease from the number that CUNA had previously reported. Last month, the group said that credit unions had added approximately 650,000 members between Sept. 29, the day Bank of America (BAC) announced its now-rescinded monthly $5 debit card fee, and Bank Transfer Day.
|Discrepancies in data lead credit unions to dial down estimates about how many customers they gained on Bank Transfer Day.|
CUNA says it still stands by its estimate for Bank Transfer Day itself, maintaining that 40,000 people joined credit unions Nov. 5, but it does not believe that an additional 209,000 members were added between Nov. 1-4, as that amount of new accounts could be attributed to existing customers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV