The department store took a 16.6% stake in the media company, investing $38.5 million, or $3.50 a share. As part of the 10-year deal, J.C. Penney also will have representation on Martha Stewart's board. Martha Stewart Living said it will pay out a one-time special dividend to its shareholders of 25 cents a share.
In February 2013, J.C. Penney will roll out Martha Stewart retail stores inside most of the company's locations. J.C. Penney will market and source the products.
"These Martha Stewart stores are intended to be destinations where consumers can experience an engaging and inspiring environment and buy a variety of affordable, high-quality home and lifestyle merchandise designed and curated by Martha Stewart and her team," the company said in a statement.The two companies also will launch an e-commerce site in 2013 that will offer Martha Stewart expertise and products. Martha Stewart shares rose 31.4% to $4.10 in premarket trading Wednesday. -Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV