The Houston-based company reported a profit of $39.9 million, or 77 cents a share, in the three months ended Oct. 29 on sales of $584.6 million, up 6.3% from last year. On an adjusted basis, excluding certain items, Men's Wearhouse earned 79 cents a share in the latest quarter.
The performance topped the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for earnings of 65 cents a share in the third quarter on sales of $570.9 million. Men's Wearhouse attributed the sales increase to higher prices and selling more items per transaction, two trends that offset its decrease in transactions per store, and noted that revenue from tuxedo rentals saw a 1.9% increase in the quarter on a same-store basis in the United States because of higher pricing.
The stock was last quoted at $28.99, up 6.6%, on after-hours volume of more than 100,000, according to Nasdaq.com.Men's Wearhouse's guidance though was a bit soft. The company forecast an adjusted loss of 12 to 15 cents a share for its fiscal fourth quarter ending in January, slightly wider than the current consensus view for a loss of 11 cents a share. Wall Street was bullish on Men's Wearhouse ahead of the report with six of the seven analysts covering the stock at either strong buy or buy and the 12-month median price target at $36, implying potential upside of more than 30% from Tuesday's regular session closing price of $27.19. Year-to-date, the stock is up 11%.
Vera BradleyShares of Vera Bradley (VRA) slipped in Tuesday's extended trading after the maker of women's handbags and other accessories disappointed with its fiscal fourth-quarter outlook. The Fort Wayne, Ind.-based company said it expects earnings of 44 to 47 cents a share for the quarter ending in January on revenue of between $125 million and $130 million. That view hints at downside to the current consensus expectations for earnings of 47 cents a share in the period on revenue of $130.6 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV