Will online retailer shipping affect small businesses?
Leavitt: Because more people are buying online, the capacity of the carrier, particularly with UPS and the U.S. Postal Service, their systems are getting maxed out. It's the same system that moves the [business to consumer] that moves the B2B. The same driver that's delivering to residential is also delivering to commercial. It just stretches their capacity.
It's a good thing for the economy and so we like that, but for small-business owners who are trying to ship to another business owner, it just maximizes the capacity to put all the packages on the truck and to deliver all the packages.
And what about the cuts from the U.S. Postal Service? How will that affect small businesses that ship?Leavitt: It will absolutely impact what we call deferred shipping -- shipping that UPS [and others] do on two-day, three-day and even overnight. Not a lot of small businesses use the USPS, but this will drive more businesses to use UPS and FedEx. It will have an impact on the capacity issues. Can they handle more shipments that get moved from the USPS? I don't know. It will be an interesting development to see how the systems' capacities will get impacted by what the USPS does. We really don't know what all those changes are yet. Unishippers understands the small-business world -- they can at least help them understand what the changes are and if it impacts them, their employees or company. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV