NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of Frontline (FRO) roared Tuesday after the massive shipping company announced a restructuring plan designed to shift much of its debt and unfilled new-vessel contracts to a new corporate entity.
Shares of the Bermuda-based company finished Tuesday's regular session up 66 cents, or 18.6%, at $4.20 with volume reaching 8.6 million, more than three times the issue's trailing three-month daily average of 2.7 million.
"With the restructured cash break even rates Frontline will be extremely well positioned to meet the challenges the current oversupply of tankers has created," CEO Jens Martin Jensen said in a statement.
Frontline said it plans to transfer $666 million in bank debt and $325.5 million in remaining to-be-built vessel contracts to the new company, which it referred to as Frontline 2012. Hemen Holding Ltd., a major Frontline shareholder, is providing certain guarantees in order to facilitate the restructuring.The company said Frontline 2012 plans to raise $250 million in equity, and that it plans to subscribe to provide 10% of that amount. "We feel that significant upside will be kept for Frontline's existing equity holders through the massive reduction in debt and newbuilding obligations that the proposed solution will bring," Jensen said. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. >Follow Joe Deaux on Twitter. Subscribe on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV