Waste Management (WM) runs over 300 landfills nationwide, making it the industry's dominant player at a time when the number of domestic landfills is shrinking due to strict environmental regulations.
Church said "trash collection is a great non-cyclical business" and so avoids sharp downturns while providing steady cash flow. He expects the company will soon raise its dividend to 5% from its current 4.31% yield.Church adds that the company has another potential for growth beyond its core business as it is working to convert trash to energy, and monetize other waste products it collects through recycling. Its shares are down 11% this year, but over the past three years have an average annual return of 6%, resulting in a market value of $14 billion.
Alere (ALR) develops and markets consumer and professional point-of-care diagnostic devices. The firm's devices target cardiology, oncology, drug abuse and women's health-care sectors. Church says "we think this is where the future of health care is migrating to -- the use of a monitoring device from home. It's keeping people out of hospitals or the doctor's office" through the use of wireless communications on medical monitoring devices. Just as everything else is going mobile, this is mobile health care." Alere's shares have lost 37% this year, but have a three-year average annual return of 12%, resulting in a market value of $2 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV