Motorola Solutions (MSI) has had a good year after spinning off Motorola Mobility (MMI), its consumer-focused arm. Shares of the business solutions company have risen 25% since January as billionaire investor George Soros upped his stake to 6.6 million shares.
Motorola Solutions, which develops communcations equipment for law enforcement officers other related government offices, is the less trendy sibling to Motorola Mobility, which makes smartphones and tablets.But the company is still innovating and boosting growth. During the most recent quarter, the company posted adjusted earnings of 65 cents per share and revenue of $2.11 billion, up from earnings of 54 cents and sales of $1.9 billion during the same period last year. Analysts had expected earnings of 59 cents per share and revenue of $2.1 billion. Bernstein analyst Pierre Ferragu called Motorola Solutions a "hidden gem" in a recent research note, noting that its business was previously hidden within the Motorola conglomerate who relied on it for its stable cash generation. "The progressive evolution of the company's capital structure in the next two years should reveal a very high quality business model current overlooked," he wrote, noting that the company in recent months announced the initiation of a 22-cent quarterly dividend and a buyback authorization of $2 billion through 2012. >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 4 Top-Performing Tech Stocks for 2012 portfolio on Stockpickr. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV