Story updated with one additional stock and latest share prices.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Forget about buzzy Internet stocks going into 2012.
With investors expected to stay cautious for the foreseeable future, analysts are bullish on businesses with predictable revenue streams and growth."The companies that really showcased the strength of the tech market (in 2011) were old tech, not new tech," said Rob Enderle, an analyst with the Enderle Group. "The buzz was social networking but the money was on traditional hardware and software." Here are five of the best-performing tech stocks in the S&P 500 for 2011 where analysts still see major momentum going forward.
Electronic ArtsVideo game company Electronic Arts (EA) has one of the best turnaround stories of the year. Amid threats from social gaming companies like Zynga who offered cheaper alternatives to EA's packaged goods titles like Madden, FIFA and Medal of Honor, the company began to shift its business strategy. Since then, EA has been trying aggressively to grow its digital revenue into a $1 billion annual business through recent acquisitions like PopCap Games, the creator of games like Bejeweled and Plants vs. Zombies. As part of this strategy, EA released its most expensive and ambitious project ever in December--its massively multi-player online game Star Wars: The Old Republic. The game sold 1 million copies in its first ten days of release, making it the fastest-selling MMO in the history of the video game industry. EA's efforts appear to have paid off, as the company's stock is up 27% this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV