NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "While Europe promises that we'll live happily ever after, I'm going to get paid to wait," Jim Cramer told his "Mad Money" TV show viewers Tuesday, after a lackluster day on Wall Street.
Cramer said the markets gave three examples today of how it rewards shareholders who hold onto stocks, as opposed to only renting them.Cramer said that 3M (MMM), General Electric (GE) and Eli Lilly (LLY) all proved today how owned a good-yielding dividend stock can make all the difference, even on a ho-hum day in the markets. Every quarter GE pays 15 cents a share to its shareholders, said Cramer, while Lilly pays 49 cents a share and 3M, 55 cents a share. While that might not seem like a lot, over time it added up, not to mention the positive tax treatment of dividend income. And then there's positive news. In the case of 3M, Cramer said the company reaffirmed guidance today and was one of the leaders in the Dow. The company also has a 34-year-track record on consecutive dividend payments. In the case of Eli Lilly, shares of the company jumping in today's trading on news that the company's latest Alzheimer's drug could cause a 50% to 100% boost in the Lilly's earnings by 2020. Investors now wait for the latest clinical trial data. Finally, there was positive news out of General Electric, which said that its subsidiary, GE Capital, is preparing to start offering up more of its earnings to GE, its parent. Cramer said these are just three examples of great companies with great dividends that pay investors to wait today while still offering great growth prospects for the future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV