CHICAGO TheStreet) -- Instead of trying to undo our country's labor laws, maybe Congress ought to try to follow them.
In April, after the counsel for the National Labor Relations Board found that Boeing (BA) violated labor law when it moved work to South Carolina, Congress went ballistic.
Some Republican senators even threatened to dismantle labor laws that have existed since 1935, using a maneuver that typifies our dysfunctional Congress. The plan is to block replacement nominees to the NLRB, ensuring that the board has only two of the five required members. That way, it could not make any decisions!
What a pitiful way to run a country.Fortunately, this is not the way that Boeing and the International Association of Machinists run their business. Rather, in October, they began to negotiate. As the IAM reported to members last week: "We did not publicly announce these talks, for reasons we know you understand. "In the past, we've gone through negotiations with media, politicians and bloggers second-guessing our moves and trying to determine the outcome while we work against a looming deadline," the union said. "To make a big public splash this time would have undermined what we were doing and would have gone against the reasons why we agreed to meet with the company in the first place." In six weeks, Boeing and its biggest union
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV