NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- One of the world's biggest iron ore carriers is experiencing problems in the Ponta da Madeira port in Brazil which might impact Vale's (VALE) shipments, according to a Reuters report.
The carrier, Vale Beijing, was supposed to leave the port on Sunday but Reuters said the ship has at least two broken ballast tanks and water is getting into the cargo hold. Reuters said the ship could sink.
About one-third of Vale's output comes from this port, Reuters said. This is the second problem with this new larger dry bulk carrier that Vale uses to compete better with Rio Tinto (RIO) and BHP Billiton (BHP), which have major mines located closer to China, Reuters said.
-- Written by Alexandra Zendrian
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alexandra Zendrian
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV