1. Lincoln National (LNC)
Company Profile: Lincoln National, with assets of $153 billion, offers annuities, life insurance, 401(k) plans, savings plans, and comprehensive financial planning and advisory services.Sector Representation: Financials Share Price: $20.85 (Dec. 5) Potential Upside: 82.3% based on a price target of $38 Investment Thesis: Analyst Edward Spehar prefers insurance out of the entire financials industry, and Lincoln National stands out because of the potential for dividends and buybacks. "The company has a 10% return on equity today with some upward bias given that tangible ROE (or an indicator of potential new business returns) is closer to 13% and excess subsidiary capital and free cash flow should allow for balance sheet deleveraging and increased payouts to shareholders (dividends and share buybacks) over time," Spehar writes. "All of these factors suggest that the share price should conservatively move to a 10%-15% discount to book value, in our view." >>To see these stocks in action, visit the Merrill Lynch's 10 Favorite Stocks for 2012 portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Holmes. >To follow Robert Holmes on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/RobTheStreet. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV