BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL), Marathon Oil (MRO) and CBS (CBS) made Bank of America/Merrill Lynch's list of top stocks for 2012 and may help investors beat the market next year by a wide margin.
Bank of America/Merrill Lynch strategist Savita Subramanian compiled the firm's favorite stock ideas for 2012, plucking one name from each of the 10 sectors of the S&P 500. Subramanian says the stock picks align with Bank of America/Merrill Lynch's investment themes for the year ahead.
The Bank of America/Merrill Lynch analysts have a 12-month price target of 1,350 for the S&P 500, 6.9% higher than current levels. By comparison, the average return of the 10-stock portfolio, based on the price targets offered by analysts, is 30%.The New York-based firm, which doesn't offer updates during the year on the list, says the stocks are chosen by Bank of America/Merrill Lynch's fundamental analysts. All companies carry a "buy" rating and are reviewed for favorable valuation, quality, yield and growth. As it turns out, next year's favorites could have stood in for the firm's best picks for 2011. The group has an average return of 5.3% this year. The S&P 500, a broader measure of the largest stocks in the U.S., is little changed. Of Bank of America/Merrill Lynch's group of favorite stocks, CBS is the best performer so far this year, up 34%, while Lincoln National (LNC) lags the most, with a 26% drop. The 10 stocks on Bank of America/Merrill Lynch's list are arranged below in order of potential upside, based on the firm's 12-month price target and the stock's price as of Dec. 5.
10. Xcel Energy (XEL) Company Profile: Xcel Energy is a supplier of electric power and natural gas service in several U.S. states, including Colorado, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Texas. Sector Representation: Utilities Share Price: $26.06 (Dec. 5) Potential Upside: 7.4% based on a price target of $28 Investment Thesis: Analyst Steve Fleishman touts Xcel for the company's yield, earnings stability and dividend growth. He also likes the stock as it is one of the highest quality, lowest risk regulated utilities in his coverage universe. "We like XEL's strong rate-base wind program and multi-state utility model, and find the stock attractive post its equity overhang completion," Fleishman writes. "Investments in wind generation provide solid growth. Challenges will be translating these opportunities into [earnings-per-share] growth by managing cash flow and regulatory lag."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV