NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The tech sector, like much of the U.S. economy has had to struggle through a difficult 2011, but IBM (IBM), Salesforce.com (CRM) and Juniper (JNPR) could offer investor upside in 2012.
The Nasdaq has dipped almost 3% over the last six months, weighed down by the U.S. debt crisis and Europe's ongoing fiscal problems. It's not all doom and gloom, however, according to experts, who predict the three companies will shine during the coming 12 months.
IBM, for example, could offer investors a safe port in the gathering economic storm."It looks like the latter half of next year will be very difficult economically," said Charles King, principal analyst at research firm Pund-IT. Large-cap dividend paying stocks such as IBM could therefore perform well for investors, he added.
Salesforce.com and Juniper, on the other hand, have seen their stocks beaten down in recent months, but are poised for a 2012 turnaround. "CRM's weak year-end performance in 2011 may set it up very nicely for 2012," explained Pat Walravens, an analyst at JMP Securities, in an email. Read on for more details on tech's top 2012 stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV