BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Stocks are pointing higher to start the week again, building on last week's colossal 7.39% rally. That puts the S&P 500 right at breakeven for 2011, a significant psychological price level that could add fuel to the buying fire that's come into play since Thanksgiving.
There are still some big barriers for stocks to overcome if 2011 is going to push into the black for most investors. According to data compiled by Morningstar, the average domestic stock fund's performance is still in the red this year, dragged down by inopportune trading and management fees.
That means that even if the S&P 500 can hold its head above water for the next few weeks, Main Street investors could still close the calendar year with portfolio losses. And let's not forget that lingering uncertainty in the eurozone and Washington could still derail any upward momentum.For now, the bullish pressure on the market is worth taking advantage of -- to do that, we'll turn to a new set of Rocket Stock names this week. For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 131 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 79.86%. With that, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV