DALLAS TheStreet) -- The bankruptcy of American Airlines and parent AMR (AMR) could mean fewer flights and fewer seats for passengers, even on some prestigious routes, as well as a turning point for airline investors. Competitors' shares rose, with the three remaining legacy carriers registering double-digit gains last week.
Passengers in a variety of markets could be impacted.
|Passengers are likely to lose routes with an American Airlines bankruptcy, but Delta, JetBlue, US Airways and United are already seeing stock gains.|
American's principal hubs in Dallas, Miami and Chicago should escape the bulk of the capacity trimming, and American may also be hesitant to reduce flying between the U.S. and the U.K., Ticonderoga analyst James Higgins says. But flight cuts should be steeper in markets outside the three major hubs, he says, and various analyst agree they see impending cuts in Los Angeles and New York -- which despite being keys to American's cornerstone strategy are not places where it dominates.
In May, in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV