BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Eurozone leaders preparing for a critical European Union summit leads your quick fix of company, market, economic and investing news for Monday, Dec. 5.
Monday's 5 Biggest Stories
Mark your calendars. The
European Union summit on Dec. 9 is a big deal.
Hey, Americans, you think the debt problems are bad here in the U.S.?
Italy's welfare minister broke down in tears as she outlined the country's austerity measures.
Despite the tears, the
market likes Italy's austerity plan. Even Italian bonds, which flirted with the dangerous 7% yield level, are stabilizing.
Quote of the Day"This man represents the Treasury Department. He's brought hundreds of millions of dollars," Vice President Joe Biden joked as he introduced T.H. Christopher Smart, a deputy assistant secretary at the Treasury Department, to Greek President Karolos Papoulias.
Company NewsIn news that won't shock anyone, Commercial Metals (CMC) rejected a $1.7 billion bid from billionaire investor Carl Icahn. Grab your popcorn.
MarketsIndia sees its slowest economic expansion since 2009 due to inflation.
Investment StrategyThe decline of "safe" assets in the market.
Odds and EndsA 14-car pile-up in Japan wrecks more than $1 million in automobiles, including eight Ferraris and a Lamborghini.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Holmes. >To follow Robert Holmes on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/RobTheStreet. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV